TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Science and the Bible

I get so tired of hearing people say that science has disproved the Bible. In what way? Why, the millions of years, they say. The Bible doesn't allow enough time for all the fossils to have formed.

Actually, it does (because it has a different, more reasonable mechanism for forming them), but that's another sermon. Here's the real kicker: why would anyone ever trust scientists over the Bible? The Bible has always been ahead of science:

1) The Bible is the only ancient text that teaches that the earth is round (Isaiah 40:22).

2) The Bible is the only ancient text that teaches that the earth hangs on nothing in outer space (Job 26:7).

3) The Bible is the only ancient text that teaches that the life of the flesh is in the blood (Leviticus 17:11).

4) The Bible was the first text on medical cleanliness that is mandated today (all throughout Leviticus).

When did science discover these things? Thousands of years and many unnecessary deaths later. So, how long are you going to wait for science to tell you to get right with God? The Bible is already doing it.

Revelation 21:8 warns, "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." First Corinthians 6:9 warns us, "Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." First John 3:15 says, "He that hates his brother is a murderer, and we know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."

Jesus Himself said, "Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire....Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: but I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." (Matthew 5:21-22, 27-30)

You say, "But who is not guilty of these things?"

My Friend, now you have begun to understand the necessity of Jesus of Nazareth and all that He claimed to be. He must be God in the flesh, because, as He said, "There is none good, but One, [and]that is God." (Matthew 19:17) That is why He had to die--for our sins, that Justice might be served and yet mercy extended to the wicked rebels in dire straits. You and I have been offered the awesome gift of eternal life through the death and resurrection of the Son of God. Will we pass it by?

"But," you say,"I like my religion, my church, my life. I'm happy the way I am."

But, my friend, God is not happy with you, and that is a much bigger issue right now.

"I'll wait until I'm on my death bed."

My friend, you may not get a death bed.

Do you realize what you are saying? God is offering you reconciliation, but instead you say to Him, "God, I know that I have greatly offended You, even though with each breath I breathe out, You send another back to give me life. But I want to live my life that You gave me in my lusts. I will use up all the time I have here to serve myself, and I will give You nothing in return for Your gracious pardon at the end of my life. Just wait for me there, I'll repent before I die. But I just don't want to live in righteousness."

My friend, if you offered your enemy reconciliation, and he instead said to you, "When I get old and decrepit and useless, I'll apologize for the irreparable harm that I have caused you. In the meantime I will continue to do the things that I know displease you and will offend you up to that point. But don't worry, I'll be quite sincere when I apologize at that point." You would be outraged. You think that God feels any other way?

My friend, God may lose patience with you tonight. Don't put it off any longer. Get right with God today. Repent, and put your trust in the only provision He has made for you to be saved: Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God.

No comments: